A few years ago, in the early 2010's Julia and I were on holiday in Devon and went to the local Catholic Church in Okehampton summer Garden Fete. It was held in the grounds of one of the parishioners house in a nearby village. We parked the car and were walking to the house when we saw this lady carrying a couple of bags going the same way. I helped her with the bags and we started chatting. It was only when we got to the house and they thought that we were "part of her team' that Julia and I realised that the lady was Ann Widdecombe.
She had brought some of her books with her, proceeds going to the charity that the Fete was supporting. We had a cup of tea with her and an enjoyable chat. She had no "airs and graces" strong views certainly and a wicked sense of humour, someone whose company we enjoyed.
It is so sad that she has had her life brutally cut short. What makes it worse is that some are saying such vile things about her and others trying to make political capital. We live in strange times.
Julia and I will pray for her.

No comments:
Post a Comment