Wednesday 19 April 2023

Rugby - a once great game slowly fading away

I think that one aspect that many forget is that rugby was never designed to be a spectator sport. I know that we cannot go back to the "good old days". But when my dad was taking me to Twickenham back in the fifties the vast majority of the crowd were either players, former players plus some wives or girl friends and children. The vast majority knew and understood the laws of the game and were appreciative of the finer points and the "dark arts". This was also true of the brave few who stood on the touchline at their local ground on a Saturday.

I would suggest that the majority of the crowds today have never played or not played since school. Do not understand the laws (not sure if I do anymore) and just want a spectacle with lots of "hits" and some occasional deft ball handling. The administrators see ££notes rather than wanting to see people playing the game no matter how ineptly My own playing was not that spectacular to say the least, but I loved it.

What I would love to see from the RFU is a clear concise statement of their vision for the game at all levels. I am also waiting for the pink pigs to come flying past my window.

No comments:

Post a Comment