Saturday 12 September 2020

Consent of the People


My daughter and son-in-law run a catering company. I have suggested that they start a cookery school and use our house as their educational establishment. I am going on the “How to open a bottle of wine course”. I would like a dozen or so friends to join me!

I can see that there will be mass disobedience if this new "rule of six" is not changed PDQ. I will be making plans and ignoring it. I am coming round to the viewpoint that life is for living. I don't mind wearing a face mask whilst out in shops on public transport etc. Yes large gatherings at raves, sporting events etc are potential "hotspots" for virus transmission. But to say that immediate family shouldn't meet is taking things too far. As The Declaration of Independence says, “Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.” The UK government is about to lose that consent.

It needn't have been this way but the rot started when government ministers - Robert Jenrick and advisors- Cummings flouted the rules and were defended for doing so. Even staunch Johnson fans that I have met are telling me that he is the worst Prime Minister in their living memory - which is 80+ years. Now we have the government saying that it will unilaterally changing international agreements that it freely entered into. If the government can break the law then so can the people.

I really do fear for the country

No comments:

Post a Comment