Welcome to Barry's Blog and my ramblings on various current events and family news.
Wednesday, 9 January 2013
The tragic death of a teenage boy has been reported today. He died after eating a couple of mouthfuls of spare ribs cooked in a peanut sauce. The headline said that he was allergic to nuts. My question of the day is that peanuts are not a true nut, being a member of the legume family along with peas and beans; therefore are people allergic to peanuts also allergic to other legumes? What is it about peanuts that make them so lethal? You never seem to read about people dying after a mouthful of peas.
I am a retired Consulting IT Specialist. I have been married to Julia for nearly 47 years and we are blessed with four children; David, Andrew, Lawrie and Hélèna. Not forgetting the "other half's"; Gaew married to Andrew, Lawrie's partner Emma and Hélèna's husband Sam.
In addition we have a grandson - Henry Thomas, son of Lawrie and Emma. Henry was four in April 2017 and he now has a sister, Georgia, born on 29 December 2017.
I am ordained as a Permanent Deacon in the RC Church - date of ordination 8 June 2013 so am now in my fifth year of ministry.