Friday 30 March 2012

Parkrun

No this is not (for once) a typo, Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. So last Saturday saw me take part in my first "race" for about 9 years. This is part of the "new me" campaign which I launched at the beginning of the year, my New Years resolution. My weight has been slowly ballooning and I am mighty unfit. Since January I have lost about 16 lbs in weight and started doing more exercise. My plan is to try and do a couple of these competitive runs each month which should give me encouragement to keep jogging. This first run saw me run the 5k in 30 minutes 19 seconds, when I think that twenty two years ago I was doing 10k in about thirty three minutes I realise that I have a lot of catching up to do. Still I was younger and about 40 lbs lighter!
One of the good things with these runs is that as well as getting your time they gave you an age graded score so you can compare your performance against runners in different age categories. My age graded score was 54.81%; hopefully the next run will show an improvement.
If you are interested in taking part - runs take place all over the UK and overseas then click here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm supporting Mrs T by giving up cakes for lent, haven't lost anywhere near 16lbs though and I think I'd struggle with 5k in 30 mins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but I still have more to lose than you

    ReplyDelete